Sunday, February 24, 2019

ROLLER COASTER DAYS

 Bolt and bar the shutter,
For the foul winds blow:
Our minds are at their best this night,
And I seem to know
That everything outside us is
Mad as the mist and snow.

Horace there by Homer stands,
Plato stands below,
And here is Tully's open page.
How many years ago
Were you and I unlettered lads
Mad as the mist and snow?

You ask what makes me sigh, old friend,
What makes me shudder so?
I shudder and I sigh to think
That even Cicero
And many-minded Homer were
Mad as the mist and snow.

-W. B. Yeats-

2.20.2019
Manhattan NY Noon
Melted and cleaned up in a Day

Tax Thursday
Traveled to the West Side

My old friend and Union buddy, M.A. kindly provides me with
pro-bono tax preparation every year just a buss ride to the West side.

Here's Lucy the Protector

Defending  her Home
Fiercely

My friend settled down with Turbo-Tax and the tedious task was finished and filed in an hour. Mine is a real easy one. There was time for chit chat and thin crust Pizza shared with her partner.
https://www.nycthincrust.com/

7:30 p.m.
Headed home
Temperature still a mild 33 degrees
Just one more shot
St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church
359 West 24th Street

~*~

RBG

Beekman Theater
2nd Avenue at 66th Street
Unheated and nearly deserted on a Tuesday for the 7:20 Show. In a theater that easily seats 500 we were a scant forty viewers.
I'm not solid sure just how I feel about the film. Though good, the actress feels to me like wrong casting, but I might just be stuck in the present. Story, however is fine:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.

On the Basis of Sex” does a brisk, coherent job of articulating what Ginsburg accomplished and why it mattered. 
Full review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28dHbIR_NB4

Currently she's back on the Supreme Court
Two months after cancer surgery. She had missed arguments in the meantime in her first absences since she joined the court in 1993, but had continued to participate in the court’s decisions by reading briefs and transcripts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court.html

Saturday
8:30 a.m.
 
Today arrived with the usual difficult news from our wider world: Venezuela, The Popes Sex Scandal Forum, Redlining and Racism, Ongoing dismantling of consumer protections, Gun Control fights, attacks on almost every Governmental Agency and the soon to be released Mueller Report-What to expect:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/opinion/mueller-report-trump-democrats-barr.html

On the Home Front
Laundry

Food Preparation

Sound Track
Two Hours and Eleven Minutes
 https://youtu.be/ePPMrX4YtkM
~*~

Sunday
Only four more days to finish with February which has been mostly awful in so many ways. Our roller-coaster weather continues. It rained all last night, now drying out and warmish in Manhattan.
Academy Awards Tonight
 
I'm 99% certain "On the Basis of Sex" will take the Documentary prize and I hope "BlackKlansman" will get something good. Both, though not perfect films, are currently important. As for the opinions in this Chelsea News, though interesting, I don't necessarily agree. In any case, I have no strong attachment to any of the films and only saw the two I mentioned. I'll be watching. 
 
~*~ 

4 comments:

Dana said...

Hi Michelle! Thank you for the Bach, I'm listening as a roll through your posts. Yay for tax completion. I'm putting ours off because I'm pretty sure we are going to be losers under the new scheme. Grr. Keep warm in your whimsical weather.

jude said...

taxes. don't remind me.

Mo Crow said...

(((Michelle))) yay for getting the tax done and that spring is just around the corner up there in the north countries!

deemallon said...

It is fun to travel along with you. Looking out the window. Seeing the friend’s dog, the church at night. Been listening to a ton of podcasts about the announcement that Mueller is wrapping up. One big take away: prepare to be disappointed.