Tuesday, June 14, 2011

THE WRITERS ALMANAC SAYS IT ALL FOR TODAY

Its Flag Day 
There's a history worth looking at again
..........................................................................................................................................
Today is also the Birthday of many worthy notables

Harriett Beecher Stowe
Author
Her husband encouraged her writing, and when they moved to Maine, she began writing a long tale of slavery, Uncle Tom's Cabin; or, Life Among the Lowly (1852), which caused a national sensation. When she later met President Lincoln in 1863, he reportedly remarked, "So this is the little lady who made this great war."

Ernesto (Che) Guevarra
Revolutionary
Witnessed so much oppression and suffering,
 he came to believe that the only solution was violent revolution.

Anne Frank
Diarist
Said a great many things in her diaries, but the most poignant for me will always be
"It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe,
in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."

Diablo Cody
Screenwriter
"I've been told that I'm incompetent, socially retarded, maladjusted," she said. "I still know that I couldn't function in reality. Los Angeles is a good place for me."


Read Garrison Keillor's extended entry for the above mentioned
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/



No comments: