Friday, October 28, 2011

Feather Muse Friday IT'S EVERYWHERE, EVERYTHING AND EVERY ONE - WHAT GOES AROUND, GOES AROUND - THEN COMES AROUND AGAIN


Feather Muse

CREATIVITY
I know it's a flower - not a feather - but for today,
It's my feather. Since I managed to get through
another week with nary a stitching moment,
I think I'll just re-post this wonderful video
Part 1 was originally posted by Nancy at
http://pomegranatetrail.blogspot.com/2011/10/living-creative-life.html
I added Part 2
It's really quite clever, despite
the pre-revolutionary dated touches.
"Why Man Creates"
by Saul Bass - 1968
animated short documentary film

If you would like to purchase a remastered copy:

Dyeing 
Cloth
Has Become An Obsession
I did get into dyeing. Immediately upon receiving Deanna's thoughtful gift of silks, I got out the stash from the Long Island sojourn. filled a pot with false indigo, water, and a touch of vinegar, brought it to a boil, and folded a piece of Linen Silk down into the bath.
Next, filled a large Plastic (we use what we have) tub with all the used dye baths from berries, cumin and black walnuts into the mix, and folded in another piece of Linen silk, and an old lightly soiled cotton table cloth.
from back to front:
Table cloth rinsing after overnight in the dye.
The 3 times used and spent Black Walnuts.
Some Greek Thyme I found in a planter and will plant outdoors.
 
This is the previously pale green table cloth
in the Black Walnut dye bath. 
 
The weak false indigo with blueberries and
a piece of Lapis lazuli added. 
I will drain it and soak the pale tan linen silk strip again.
 Now it's nearly midnight but I have two dry strips (pale I feel),
and a table cloth drying in the bathtub (also pale).
They may all need more time or a stronger solution.
I also soaked some of the too few red leaves of a bush I don't know the name of -  but, so far not much color.  maybe I'll cook them.

Of course, I couldn't resist throwing in
an undershirt and underpants. I had a sable brown in mind,
but maybe more time is needed.
also, three formerly blue and white patterned place mats
definitely need more time and maybe heat too.
 Before I know it everything will be brown or tan,
unless I get better at this craft, and more colorful soon.
That's all, except to say, I miss Judes nourishing posts-
"You don't always know what you've got till it's gone."
Tomorrow is another day.

ps- for those who like to track time
I'm finishing posts late at night now,
scheduling them to post automatically
at different times on the next day.


LAST FEW DAYS TO ENTER
OCTOBERS GIVE AWAY
ENDS MIDNIGHT
October 30th
GO TO
http://mscomfortzone.blogspot.com/2011/10/spirit-muse-sunday-getting-hooked-and.html

LEAVE A  COMMENT THERE (not here) ABOUT THE POST

the drawing will still be a random names-from-a-hat
which I will pick blindfolded, supervised by a yogi friend


Good Fortune To All




4 comments:

deanna7trees said...

just a suggestion, if you're not already doing this. simmer the leaves for about an hour or two before putting in the cloth. then put in the cloth and simmer for another hour or two and let the cloth sit in that pot overnight. I suggest that you cover the pot so that the steam created stays within. it is my understanding that the false indigo leaves alone will not give you color. experimenting is a good thing. maybe next, you'll start making bundles.

Ms. said...

aha--but I don't know what bundles are, or maybe I do.

Nancy said...

Fun to see your experiments! I've recently pulled out some acorn, walnut and redish poppy dyed cloth!
And just love the video, eh?! It's a good one!

*jean* said...

if you are interested, there is a canadian artist who dyes beautiful cloth and her blog is called resurrection fern...you are making me want to dye some things!! my neighbor has a black walnut tree, perhaps i will find some on my walk today!!