Tuesday, October 1, 2013

MORE GOOD DAYS TO WAKE UP



 Thursday 9/26
Before dawn
The police precinct across the street woke me with back up beepers, then one blue jay joined in, insistent, on some urgent, avian mission.  I limped to the kitchen to grind coffee beans.

Friday 9/27
The young folks
They're noise-making, rousting about above and around me.  I'll rise when they've gone.
In dream, I turn back to late peaches and squash blossoms in Massachusetts.

Saturday 9/28
   A Con Ed outage yesterday
Both the heavily trafficked New haven line, and Amtrak were affected when a main feeder gave out, resulting in thousands of angry commuters.  It may take weeks to repair.  Meanwhile they will run one diesel train every hour and extra buses.  Plus, traffic jams with all the VIPs in town for the United Nations General Assembly evacuated!
 It was a good day to have no where to 'have to' be.  With the city emptied out, today is eerily quiet.
I'm feeling isolated.

Sunday 9/29
Just this morning
The chortle of pigeons on my window sill
says to me, 'You are not alone,
not the only life pressed against glass,
perched precariously.

Monday 9/30
Cora 
She carries me along, shifting her weight with my need.  Curving into fault lines, she makes the crooked, straight, leads me through the gate, walks beside me silently, and never late for anything, we bide our time together, an invalid and her helpful tree.
We managed to take the bus to my writing group, and had a great session.  After, I visited the stately, prolific, always entertaining poet, John Marcus Powell at his residence across from where we meet.  He said of this candid shot:
"Gawd!  I look like Gloria Swanson!"

We watched a repeat of the latest episode of
"Last Tango in Halifax"
It shows Sunday nights on our channel thirteen.
Here's the one minute trailer

Tuesday 10/1
The Name of it is Autumn
by Emily Dickinson
The name -- of it -- is "Autumn" --
The hue -- of it -- is Blood --
An Artery -- upon the Hill --
A Vein -- along the Road --

Great Globules -- in the Alleys --
And Oh, the Shower of Stain --
When Winds -- upset the Basin --
And spill the Scarlet Rain --


4 comments:

Nancy said...

So sorry limping is still the case for you...but I do like seeing your nine-patch of days :)

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Life is so Full, isn't it. it
sometimes appears fully as it is and is almost too much to comprehend. so, we don't try. we just go.
listening at Patricia's suggestion to the On Being interview with T N Hahn
(don't know how to spell) when
Christa Tippet asked him....at this
point in his life, what were the
pressing concerns he has...
and he in his singular way said
"pressing concerns? i have no
pressing concerns. it actually
might have been the world questions
instead of concerns anyway, he said
it was just the Now.
how many times do we need to hear
that from how many people....
Your week was a very ok week.

Ms. said...

Ah Nancy, and Grace--I wish this were a conversation line like at typepad, but it will do none the less. I love you two....you always warm and remind me of the essentials...Yes, it's all OK...and just enough.

Mo Crow said...

beautiful post those autumn leaves the letting go of fall the gentle wry humour and to top it off an Emily Dickinson I had not read before
namaste