Monday, November 12, 2018

SOLDIERING ON

For three nights this past week my little electric radiator had been on trying to keep up with lack of heat in my apartment. I spoke to our valiant Superintendent. Late Friday the heat returned.
However, the bathroom, which is directly across from the ill fitting apartment entrance door, has been cold since they gut-rehabilitated the apartments above and below me in the late nineties and cut the only heat pipe off entirely to accommodate their new design, which included moving walls and removing insulation. There is no electrical outlet, so the only way to warm it is draw a hot tub. It takes twenty minutes due to reduced water pressure which is a result of increased population I think. I'm told it's City wide. After my soak, I add laundry soap and reuse the water to wash clothes, a daily routine.
With my attention drawn to the devastating California fires by concern for friends there, it seems sinful to complain about anything.
~*~

"The Wisdom Sangha"
 Monthly Meeting at New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care.
We meditated, read from "Older and Wiser-Classical Buddhist Teachings on Aging, Sickness and Death", then shared personal responses. Afterward there were snacks.
Near Home

~*~

Saturday Morning
Weekenders were LOUD in several apartments at night.
A recurring disturbance for many of us old ones now living with constantly changing, thoughtless young ones. Has me thinking about segregated housing and remembering my own youth here. Were we ever so completely self centered? Perhaps, but all the units were well insulated back then and, regardless of drugs, alcohol and rock and roll, I believe we were more consciously caring. We were not wedded to smartphones, texting or tweeting. We were actually present.

~*~

Jeez!
We''re still counting votes and contesting mid-term election results! I'm experiencing some form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder reminiscent of the Nixon years, Vietnam and Watergate. International, National and Local news is consistently overwhelming, but, the drop in temperature, as well as current impediments of disappearing bus stops, broken elevators and construction barriers make escape to lovely places of peace around town less appealing.

Police cars blocking bus stops is a regular event and forces us to step down into the roadway to board. Difficult for those on walker support and impossible for wheelchair users.

Yikes!
I've morphed into a cranky old codger.
 
 ~*~

Sunday Brunch
"Carols Andean Blue Eggs"
from Free range chickens raised on 100% vegetarian feed
no hormones or antibiotics.

Scrambled with Feta Cheese
sprinkled with herbs of Provence
served on Toast

~*~

Turning to Projects
1.
Holiday Cards
Cut the cards and now choosing Images
2.
Cloth Dreaming Progress
For
"A World Where Love is The Answer"
(Red White and Blue)
White Sateen affixed to White Cotton cloth
backed by sateen blue
Lace Streamers covered with cloth Rose petals

 Need more Red Thread

~*~

Armistice
World wide commemoration of the end of World War 1
at the 11th Hour on the 11rh Day of the 11th Month 1918
Some archival GEMS as well as current commemorative videos at this Link
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-46155357?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5be7f8ab2d48630667fe7c4d&How+news+of+the+Armistice+broke+in+Scotland&2018-11-11T09%3A45%3A07+00%3A00&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn%3Aasset%3Aa5ddc4a5-5ff8-4333-bae8-9ceb56bb152b&pinned_post_asset_id=5be7f8ab2d48630667fe7c4d&pinned_post_type=share&fbclid=IwAR2I9LCX9FZgkTyvLExJ6JFxomcodZQpoLHLHck7YTqcasKoxDX-RRxBmHQ
***
My Aunt Mary told me Dad lost some of his brothers to that brutal bloodbath that was to end all wars, but didn't.
~*~

Manhattan Weather 

 ~*~

Wonderful Channel 
I've just discovered I get it on my non-cable rabbit-ear Antenna reception television at 46-1
https://www.france24.com/en/
Origin 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMBQ-CD

Monday
Scored!
 360 minutes of welcome ESCAPE VIEWING in
four 90 minute bites
$3.99 at a local thrift.

A Year in Provence is a 1989 best-selling memoir by Peter Mayle about his first year in Provence, and the local events and customs. It was adapted into a television mini-series starring John Thaw and Lindsay Duncan. Reviewers praised the book's honest style, wit and its refreshing humor.
~*~

5 comments:

Mo Crow said...

love seeing your dream of a world where love is the answer pennant in process Michelle!

Liz A said...

Blue eggs ... well, I call them green eggs because it makes me smile. But anyway, they make the best popovers (bar none). I make mine in mini-muffin tins ... any leftovers (a rare thing) are reheated the next day, to be eaten with a dab of butter and jam.

deemallon said...

So much here, but let me say that omelet looks delicious!

Nancy said...

Always a full post of goodness from you my friend. I have a similar fork, my favorite. I'm working on my "Dream" too.

Marti said...

Blue sateen, gentle and calming; red cloth roses, so beautifully speaking of love, Michelle, your pennant has such a gentle, lovely quality that soothes as it inspires. What a fine, dear addition to Mo's I Dream of a World Where Love is the Answer.

You will love John thaw and Lindsay Duncan in a Year in Provence. When the book came out, our daughter was working at the time for a French importer and our Christmas gift that year was a jar of black truffles. My husband and I recreated the villagers scene where everyone sits at long tables, eating scrambled eggs with truffles, napkins over their heads to capture that earthy truffle flavor...