Tuesday, February 5, 2019

LEFTOVERS

Maybe because I was a world-war two baby, thoroughly programmed in "Waste-not-Want-not" and 
"Don't forget the starving children."

Maybe because I just skim the plus side of poverty every month and cross over into the minus ledger fairly regularly.

 I'm Thrifty

 
I've mastered the art of leftovers, 
able to turn anything in the larder into tasty nourishment.

Stuffing Casserole
Follow simple directions to mix with broth, spices and butter, add cubes of pre-cooked leftover meats if you have any and bake at 350 degrees for forty minutes. Serve with a variety of steamed greens.  


Spinach Souffle
two eggs, three tablespoons fine breadcrumbs, butter, one cup steamed spinach, squeezed dry, nutmeg and salt. Bake thirty minutes in preheated 350 degree oven. If you desire prettier. Melt some cheddar on top or just add a scoop of whipped mustard/mayo before serving. A few sprigs of parsley and you can call it cuisine.

Celeriac Soup
(recipes in link below)
Warning: you will need a really good knife. 

~*~

I almost always have what I need on hand.
When I don't, generous friends have stepped in to offer aid leaving me in a perpetual state of amazed gratitude.

I'm Rich
Perhaps an illusion, but what isn't?  Everything dissolves into molecules and air eventually. Meanwhile, friends, food, fun, grief, rage, pain, pleasure and god-almighty chance rules.
~*~


I discover again and again that my default setting is doom.
 Patience is my practice, kindness my goal.

I'm Fortunate
Wise beings were there throughout, tripping me like stones in the road, reminding me that there's more to life than meets the eye, more subtle senses than the basic six.
Most things I might desire, I can do without.
I shop in my closet. It's a museum store with
decades of fashions for all seasons and moods on permanent display and the price is always right.
~*~

2 comments:

Mo Crow said...

'the best things in life are free'

Deb Lacativa said...

My mother's face when I told her I'd be happy to pack up these frigging lima beans and use my own allowance to send them to the starvlings in China...