Sunday, August 11, 2019

MORTAL ME



Where do people go to when they die?
Somewhere down below or in the sky?
‘I can’t be sure,’ said Grandad, ‘but it seems
They simply set up home inside our dreams.’


(Inside our Dreams by Jeanne Willis)
***

Health Care Proxy
I've been obsessed with this task since these forms were given to us at the "Wisdom Sangha", our monthly meeting of elders. At our respective ages, we are thinking about what to choose in advance.

the Buddha said:

I am of the nature to grow old
There is no way to escape growing old
I am of the nature of ill-health
There is no way to escape having ill health
I am of the nature to die
There is no way to escape death
All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change
There is no way to escape being separated from them
My actions are my only true belongings
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions
My actions are the ground on which I stand

<<>>
Many details to iron out and a certain amount of anxiety about getting it as right as possible. There are feelings too. I let them come in all their forms and then let them go. Still, their are appointments to make (one form requires my Physicians signature) and lots to complete, including a living will. Hoping to have it done before September with copies delivered to all those concerned.
<<>>

Who will be my Health Care Proxy?
Sensei Robert Chodo Campbell volunteered.

 One Needs at least Two.
Last week, in conversation with my Friend, Margaritta Aguilar who's known me since the Nineties, also volunteered herself to protect my wishes. I am fortunate.
~*~


 

END
by Nick Flynn

Of course it might be a door
or it could be a field or

an ocean
or a glass on a table heavy

with sunlight

& someone there
to hand it to you

 a beautiful stone
from the bottom of a river
~*~


Practical Considerations

Amy Cunningham, a member of my Zendo with extensive knowledge of Funerals and the legal matters family and friends will be confronted with once we have left our bodies behind.


LINKS

www.agingwith dignity.org.

http://www.fittingtributefunerals.com/ 

www.health.ny.gov/publications/1430.pdf.

https://www.ny.gov/professionals/patients/patient rights/molst/

NOTE
Legalities change from State to State.

2 comments:

Mo Crow said...

we do have to think about what we're leaving behind at this stage of the game!

Nancy said...

Oh Michelle. Why does this feel hard to read when it is about someone else, that being you...but not hard to think of when it is me?
I too am on a path to getting things in order...first the financial, so one day I may get to stop working. Then this.
It is a lot.

Someone just mentioned the 5 wishes to me recently, so I will look into that.
xo my friend.