Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dolphin Muse THURSDAY - INTELLIGENT LIFE



AUGUST 25TH 2011

Dolphin Muse

As with all things,
Thursday posed a great many choices for inclusion,  and for a muse.

Thursday Etymology
*** 
There is so much available,
for the moment some literature, film and music.
  
The Man Who Was Thursday 
wherein Gabriel Syme, the main character, was given the title of Thursday
in G. K. Chesterton's 1908 Metaphysical thriller.

Sweet Thursday
John Steinbeck's 1954 novel, the sequel to his novel Cannery Row,
 set in the days after WWII

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy  

The character Arthur Dent says

"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays" 

A few minutes later the planet Earth is destroyed.

Here's the opening 6 minutes and 38 seconds of the 2005 Film

The Muse Shot
I snapped a dolphin leaving earth from the opening sequence.
I love dolphins and worry over them even more than I worry over us.

Let Thursday be the Day of the Dolphin
A day for Mammalian Intelligence & Wisdom
Dolphins, along with whales and porpoises,
are descendants of terrestrial mammals.
The ancestors of the modern day dolphins entered the water
roughly 50 million years ago.

read more science
***

Thursday's Child
David Bowie


The Search Resumes
read
http://earthsky.org/space/seti-searches-on

***

I still believe in magic
"...AND MAGIC DOES NOT DIE."


4 comments:

Nancy said...

Dashed over for a very quick read about Thursday's etymology and had to chuckle that Thursday's color is orange, especially after finally finishing my feather and the related post! My mind flashed on that bright orange fabric! Haha.
Then I thought of the old rhyme and "Thursday's child has far to go". I always hated that thing. Being born on a Thursday, I felt like I always had so far to go but was never getting there. Like Sisyphus or something! Blech. My older sister was fair of face...so ask me how well that went over! lol ALl she had to do was look pretty! Haha - oh man...

deanna7trees said...

without magic, there is nothing...

Ms. said...

Nancy dear, the dolphin, too, is programmed to remember. I'm reminded of a news story wherein - the day after a large dolphin massacre (fishing with trawl nets in Japan at that time, often caught dolphin in their tuna nets and simply killed them) - so the day after a pod of dolphins turned over fishing boats in the bay. They remembered what was lost, and tried to prevent further loss. For a few years a decade or more ago I collected news stories about dolphins planning to do something with them all, a large painting with stories forming the ground of the sea. It didn't materialize, but my focus is often drawn in a dolphin direction. And with our new flood warnings flashing here today, and the very powerful hurricane headed to the coast, I'm speculating that we too, like the dolphins before us, might be scheduled for a return to the sea (read the more science part of this post?) - Perhaps they will remember me as a friend.

Ms. said...

..."and magic never dies". I will pull this post perhaps and add the Buffy Saint Marie song with that lyric. Come and get some water here for your garden!