Wednesday, October 5, 2011

No Muse Today SHELTER FROM WIND AND WEATHER



No Muse

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It’s not."
Dr. Seuss



Hunger 
by Ms
New York City
2011
Hunger fuels
desire - finds
a blade - sparks
the fire - burns
the fodder - 'til

  it's cooked

I have already seen my first makeshift shelters of the season.
As the nights turn colder there will be many more.

A ROOM AT THE CHURCH
21st Street at Park Avenue

WATCHED OVER BY MOTHER MARY
Second Avenue at Third Street


The New Colossus 
by Emma Lazarus
New York City
1883 
The poem by Emma Lazarus. Film of immigrants
landing on Ellis Island in1903
Film footage by Thomas Edison
Song by unknown choir

 "Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles.  From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command 
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips.  "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" 
 
 

2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

I do care a whole awful lot...

Ms. said...

I know you do dear Deanna.

Today while out on errands, I passed one of the many thrift shops in my neighborhood-this one that often discards unsold things, and stopped to look at a collection of canes--An older man, but not much older than me, white bearded, decently dressed, and quite handsome, wearing his portable breathing device with it's plastic clip attached to his nose, was sitting in a rather good green plastic chair (also a discard) next to the canes--I stopped and asked if I might look through the collection--"Sure", he said. "Are any of them ones you want?", I Asked. "Well, I have my eye on some, but look and see what you want." I picked the shillelagh, and he said, "I like that one." "You have it. then", I replied--"Oh, no, I don't need it, you must take it." I did, thanking him. I wanted to take his portrait but didn't ask, feeling it would be wrong somehow. You might note that the only pictures I've posted of people sleeping on the street show no faces.