Thursday, May 24, 2012

WHAT COLOR'S IN YOUR RAINBOW?



"Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream
really do come true"
-Lyman Frank Baum-

Indigo Tie Dyed Cotton Sheeting
(I did this one only) 
Machine Embroidered Cotton
The Center of a Woolen Rug
Border of the Same Rug
Printed Pattern on Cotton

"Our world is saturated in color, from soft hues to violent stains.  How does something so intangible
pack such a visceral punch?"
In this hour, in the name of science and poetry, 
Jad and Robert tear the rainbow to pieces.
There is a brief commercial at the head.

"To what extent is color a physical thing in the physical world, and to what extent is it created in our minds? We start with Sir Isaac Newton, who was so eager to solve this very mystery, he stuck a knife in his eye to pinpoint the answer. Then, we meet a sea creature that sees a rainbow way beyond anything humans can experience, and we track down a woman who we're pretty sure can see thousands (maybe even millions) more colors than the rest of us. And we end with an age-old question, that, it turns out, never even occurred to most humans until very recently: why is the sky blue?"
 
alternative link
http://www.radiolab.org/2012/may/21/  
(let me know please if neither of the links work)


2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

love your tie-dyed blue. i've always wondered if other people see blue the way i do...or if sweet is the same for everyone...just always wondering.

Margaret Almon said...

I love the title of this post. I had existential questions about whether the colors I saw were what others saw when I was 8 or 9. Color is what I gravitate toward in making my art, and I've seen people practically vibrate with the color when they come into my booth at a craft show, and others just walk by. It's fascinating.