Wednesday, June 13, 2012

ALL ABOUT WOAD and SOME YEATS


Woad is native to the Mediterranean,
originating in Turkey and the Middle East,
from where it spread into Europe.
Blue-coloured bast fibre,
presumed to be linen or hemp dyed with woad,
was found in the French cave of l’Adaouste,
Bouches-du-Rhône.

First year plants look like lettuce clumps,
and are what one wants to use for dye.
 
Second year plants flower
and  a few are saved for seeds only.
As early as the Neolithic, 5 to 10,000 years ago,
woad seeds were stored for future use.
   


Post Script
It is the birthday of William Butler Yeats who died
in 1939.  A few weeks before he died, he wrote:
"Man can embody truth but he cannot know it."

3 comments:

deanna7trees said...

good info on woad. love that blue.

Peggy said...

Michelle, you read my mind. I've been wondering about woad and hadn't gotten to read up on it much yet. Now I'll visit your links. My teensy weensy woad plants will get that big? I sort of have my doubts but hope springs eternal. xo

Nancy said...

Michelle~ Thanks for this information, so interesting...and such a beautiful blue :)