Wednesday, December 25, 2013

T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE



Wendy and I drifted over to Gramercy Park for the Annual Christmas eve Carol sing-along by the St. George Episcopal Choir, and we did just that.
When it was over, we drifted back to my apartment to eat and drink, and shared reading aloud "Dinah, The Christmas Whore" from David Sedaris' hilarious book "Holiday On Ice", then drifted over to the Catholics around the corner to sit in on "Oh Holy Night" by their choir, then to the street, where we hugged, and drifted apart.

Christmas Light
by May Sarton


When everyone had gone
I sat in the library
With the small silent tree,
She and I alone.
How softly she shone!
And for the first time then
For the first time this year,
I felt reborn again,
I knew loves presence near.
Love distant, love detached
And strangely without weight,
Was with me in the night
When everyone had gone
And the garland of pure light
Stayed on, stayed on.

"Christmas Light" by May Sarton from Collected Poems. 
© W. W. Norton, 1993. thanks to Poets.Org.



1 comment:

Nancy said...

Sounds like a lovely time Michelle :)