Sunday, June 2, 2019

A RIVER, TWO ROSES and WILD STRWBERRIES

East River at Night


Rose

and another one.


When passing the church yard
where the back garden has been entirely neglected,

I noted with joy

the return of wild strawberries I'd planted there
two decades ago.


*
THE unspoken RULE IS
Only share the positive
Therefore I won't be declaring the details of various aches and collapses of my aging body, nor the insomnia I stagger through many a long night to dawn, nor the difficulty of tolerating the regular moving in and out of the new tenant population in general, but specifically not how I was rudely awakened too early on a recent morning by voices in my entrance hall and that I discovered I have no compassion for idiots making the error of pushing through my unlocked door while trying to maneuver an oversized mattress down the stairs to their moving van in the street. I rushed to the scene, hollered "DAMN" and slammed the door to return to sleep. Why was my door unlocked? My reason was rooted in an episode of severe congestion before going to bed that felt like a possible heart attack and which had got me to thinking I might have to summon an ambulance in the middle of the night and was attempting to save them from having to break down my door. I locked the door after the incident realizing I was okay after all.  I will certainly not rag on about the horrors contained in world news, or of floods and fires across our country, nor pollution, homelessness, gun wielding desperate humans, nor cruelty in general, nor pathological fears encouraged by Governments so hungry for power, they're gearing up for war. No, none of that...I will speak only of Mornings that reveal new life
arriving in an alley between my building and the next one.
 
Photographed through the screen so as not to alarm.

I will share the wonder of Pete Hamill; his experience of this City as "the magnificent, haunted space" he continued to call home through the decades this audio book, read by the author, conveys so well. Available at Amazon and elsewhere.

or virtually offer this scalloped Potato casserole I baked, filling space with a buttery aroma, and ate with a side of Broccoli Rab actually

or these words from Mary Oliver
"Over and over in the butterfly we see the idea of transcendence. In the forest we see not the inert, but the aspiring, In water that departs forever and forever returns, we experience eternity"

or, from R. Nemo Hill:
"The soul in time, Magellan, is what bends.
I know now how a voyage never ends."

Links
R. Nemo Hill
https://www.dosmadres.com/shop/magellans-reveries-by-r-nemo-hill/
Mary Oliver
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/at-81-mary-oliver-shares-her-spiritual-journey-in-upstream-selected-essays/2016/10/12/ea2e4194-8bfc-11e6-bff0-d53f592f176e_story.html?utm_term=.3ac855595212
~*~


2 comments:

Mo Crow said...

(((Michelle))) gentle heart, I look forward to reading Mary Oliver's Upstream in the not too faraway (am in the reserve queue at our local library)

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

dear You...what days. Thank god for the strawberries and newborns.