Tuesday, November 19, 2019

STONES and other IMAGES

Image #1
I've a heart shaped stone from Utah
A bowl full of many from far and near
Stones in my heart for every decade
Big rocks stacked near that radiator
Where cats and dogs slept for years
Stone reminders of place and person
Stand-ins for presence
(gate, Central Park Zoo)
 ~*~


Image#2
Perhaps 'Blogging' is my fourth 'Career' despite the fact that few visit and fewer comment; First, theater. Then film, video and photography and finally gardening. Now, retirement, polishing stones and practicing domestic arts of survival. This image I cut from a magazine, framed and hung, has  been with me here for twenty years at least. 
~*~


Image #3
True
and currently experiencing a reformation

"Full fathom five thy father lies; Of his bones are coral made; Those are pearls that were his eyes: Nothing of him that doth fade; But doth suffer a sea-change; Into something rich and strange."
(from Shakespeares "The Tempest")
~*~


Video
(43 minutes)
Got thoroughly soaked and chilled on the the way to, while out shopping for supplies for the snacks and on the way home from the Zendo, Having not had proper sleep (heat came and went this morning and was never adequate), every weak spot ached, but determined to 'help' with the set up, I was spectacularly unskilled in my manner with others; became an impatient bully. Though it all got done well enough, I feel a little sad. Paula Poundstone is a good antidote for disappointment of any kind. Laughed out loud first time around. Laughed again watching it just now.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjxnGy7Se1g
~*~


Image#5 and Image#6
Friend Fred was here for an hour, showed me the Nikon CoolPix camera (gift to me from Edna Hill thanks to Nemo Hill) and some functions for viewing photos. Entirely different from the way I used to function with the battered Pentax.

Once he left, I remained baffled. But I'll work with what I 'almost' understood and take some shots as soon as the battery is full. Hope I can get them uploaded to the laptop and use them. I think stones are blocking my learning channel. Maybe they always were and I just got lucky now and then. I only ever learned about anything just enough to allow me to seem functional in a job, a class or through a project. Passion and need were my motivators. There's less of both now. I have less patience though I practice patience.

There is no easy way to turn flash on or off while shooting a series. One has to stop, go to the menu and choose each time. I miss the ease of that old Pentax, the way it fit in my hand and pocket. Times change. Stuff wears out. Impermanence remains the rule.


I'll bumble on...
<<>>


Link
"Darwin" by Paul Johnson
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/paul-johnson/darwin-portrait-genius/

5 comments:

Mo Crow said...

as my old friend Pete Webb (plant guru extraordinaire) said so long ago
"Spirit likes to see us dance on the shifting sands of change"

Unknown said...

The British have a nice equivalent for "bumbling." It's "the fine art of muddling through."

Irene

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

love that...the practice of domestic Arts.

don't know what to offer about the camera...eventually,
it'll become second nature. It's always like that.
LOVE

Ms. said...

'still dancin' on those shifting sands' Mo...and it looks like no one was much delighted by Paula Poundstones incredible sense of humor. Alls well here in Manhattan despite I've been riveted to the impeachment testimonies. Horrible as they may be, they are a kind of revelation...revealing what we already knew in more ways than one.

deemallon said...

Sorry about the ongoing issues with heat and imaging. Such bummers. I miss your record of the sky and fire escape. It always gets me. How it stays the same. How it changes.