Friday, April 3, 2020

SCIENCE and SENSIBILITY

Wednesday
2.1.2020.
News of the Covid-19 pandemic is worse and worser. Meanwhile, this is how I watch Television on my non-cabled 12 inch old clunker which gets reasonable reception from it's rabbit-ear antenna on several key channels (thank goodness)
and this is my 12 inch cabled laptop where I store pictures, get email, construct my blog posts and read several others, interact on Facebook, and watch you tube and other videos.

How might it be, I wonder, without these luxuries?
More silent and less stressful I suspect.
Still, my 'prayer' is that the electric grid is maintained and the cable connections hold for the duration,

"April Fools"
(A Holiday gift from my Massachusetts 'family')
~*~

Thursday
4.2.2020
Self Defense
Midnight Temperature 97.7-taken once or twice a day because of Covid-19. It's not all I do now, locked down in my apartment for who knows how long, I've gotten blurry in more ways than one.
Time
'Retired' many years ago, I lived alone and time was at my command for the most part. Other than the occasional appointments, meetings or events, It was simply mine to decide. Now, it's out of my hands.
One abandons the external clock and reverts to that internal one; to night and day, the minute details of each moment and every activity in the service of survival. Sound dominates the current quiet. How welcome are these clankings of hundred year old iron pipes as they deliver hissing heat. How comforting that hiss is. Everything seems to take more time, yet time continues to expand or contract unpredictably. Out of contact with people, thinking about them has becomes more abstract, introspection more intense.
 
Time to get Out Walking

Union Square

Squil in Bloom
 
Chess and Dog Walking

A gathering without social distance
Spring

Social distance line to enter Trader Joe Grocery Store
entrance at the far left (middle) down near Third Avenue!
I decided I didn't need anything. 

 8 p.m.
Watched full Episode
"The Polio Crusade"
Remembered getting the shot at school and that I developed a slight fever late that evening at home, but it passed.
Ten Minute Preview
https://www.pbs.org/video/chapter-1-polio-crusade-ng86fe/

More
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Salk
~*~
  

2 comments:

Mo Crow said...

(((Michelle))) good to see you can go for a walk in the spring air!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

it feels so strange to grocery shop...something so basic
having an eerie feeling when it seems so normal
i was a Polio Pioneer...was part of double blind research.
i had a little card at the end...Polio Pioneer. Grade school.