Saturday, May 23, 2020

MINING THE PAST

Middle of Night
Waking
3 to 4:30 a.m.
Friday May 22, 2020
 
Having slept most of Thursday on and off, I woke to a silence that felt absolute, given the police precinct across the street which never quits and despite that this City is more silent due to our quarantine of many months. So, I decided to choose which poem to read at the Wisdom Sangha Zoom session Tonight, though already pretty settled on "Dragonfly" by my friend, Adriana Scopino, I dismantled a huge pile of books and papers - Buddhist, garden, art and poetry stuff I'd abandoned and rediscovered myself and others in the material there.
 
Now what? What do I value enough to keep? All of it really, but why and where to put it beyond stacking it all as it was, having eliminated some garbage. I'm already thinking about the end of being here three flights up with no idea where I might move to besides just out, gone for good. I've often referred to these rooms as the museum of me from 1969 to now and so it is.
~*~

Dragonfly
by Adrianna Scopino

A blue damselfly
is on my left arm
looking at me.

It flies
to another part
of the lawn,

myrtle grass and timothy
the arcs of grasshoppers
descend with soft thuds.

Purity of light
through tall trees,
the lake gleams.

It's high on my left arm
again, we look
at each other.

Blue bulbous eyes
its long wings align
and are still.

But how can it be
that it is also
sentient being?

I am seen.
For once no part
is unacceptable.

How is it I have
been mistaken
all my life?

And a wave of pleasure
arises in me
from deep in the ground.

(from 'Let me Be Like Glass' 2010)
~*~

Looking East
7 a.m.
The day passed
*********

Evening Walk
4:30 p.m.
Epiphany Church Garden






Home
6:30-8:00 p.m.
"Wisdom Sangha"
We each read poems and shared what thy meant to us.
I read "Dragonfly"
Then I had some supper, got into bed at 10 p.m. and fell asleep.
<<<>>>


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds like a nice full day. How lovely to have a place to share poetry, feelings. Be well Michelle

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

this post has stayed on my mind

it brought so many memories of things i have found at
ReSale shops

back when i "vacationed'...in 20's and early 30's...the joy of
searching out resale shops in far away towns, the joy of
finding amazing things...a beauty FULL book with someone elses
notes left for .... me
to let your things go, is to give them to someone elses FIND