Tuesday, September 24, 2019

WEEP and GO ON

September 23rd 2019
United Nations
New York City
Forum on Climate Action

Three times today I have watched her and each time felt so deeply sorry for her and for all beings everywhere. I've no children or grandchildren but all children move me now. All wounded creatures wound me. I'm still capable of distractions though. I've got a Zen community for refuge and to practice equanimity (which is nearly impossible). Each session I repeat the vows three times knowing I will break them no matter how much effort I make:

Sentient beings are numberless.
I vow to save them.

Illusions are inexhaustible.
I vow to put an end to them.

The Dharmas are boundless.
I vow to master them.

The Buddha way is unattainable.
I vow to attain it.

My prime-time has passed and I am now one of those adults who could not stop the disasters, who participated ignorantly and who never had the power to make policy or cash to invest in solutions. When I did get a boost of cash once, I changed the light bulbs, got an energy efficient Air conditioner and refrigerator.

In my youth I dreamed of transcendence through the arts. Later of running away to a commune and living off the grid, but I got stuck right here in this apartment for forty seven years in one of the hottest Cities in this country.

(I first wrote the above in a comment at 'Windthread')


What is Dharma?
"The Buddhist scholar Th. Stcherbatsky wrote an early, influential book entitled The Central Conception of Buddhism and the Meaning of the Word “Dharma.”  The author tells us that dharma is the basis of our ordinary existence-of the multitude of thoughts, perceptions, and occurrences that make up our experience as human beings." Read On:


Before the Storm
Lines Written in the Days of Growing Darkness 
by Mary Oliver

Every year we have been
witness to it: how the
world descends
into a rich mash, in order that
it may resume.
And therefore
who would cry out
to the petals on the ground
to stay,
knowing, as we must,
how the vivacity of what was is married

to the vitality of what will be?
I don’t say
it’s easy, but
what else will do

if the love one claims to have for the world
be true?
So let us go on

though the sun be swinging east,
and the ponds be cold and black,
and the sweets of the year be doomed.

~*~

1 comment:

Mo Crow said...

beautiful post (((Michelle)))