Monday, March 18, 2019

CELTIC WEEKEND



Before A Storm
.
Walking North from home, I witnessed a stupendous lightning strike in the distance uptown that split into three branches. It took my breath away. Then thunder and the downpour. I ducked into the health food store and got some items, arrived back home soaked, grateful to have a home to return to.
~*~

Television

Channel 13 is re-broadcasting  Robert Lepage’s acclaimed new production of Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen, which aired on Great Performances at the Met, September 2012.
The operas – Das Rheingold, Die Walkűre, Siegfried, and Götterdämmerung — will be preceded on Monday, September 10 at 9 p.m. by the airing of award-winning filmmaker Susan Froemke’s documentary Wagner’s Dream,which chronicles the backstage story of the creation of this ambitious new staging.
.
And yet, no matter how beautiful the music or fantastical the setting, I never think of Wagner that I don't think of Hitler. I am scarred forever by history both personal and cultural. Many are.
~*~

Saturday
 Feeling Fragile
St. Pats day again in Manhattan.
With parades and careening bar-babies to avoid. I had some outside errands and was quick about them, careful not to wear orange or green, I skillfully braided my way around revelers decked and drunk before noon.

 Decades ago, I mounted this haunting tune on a loop and played it all hours, day and night for months through joys and tears, steeped in conflict. I call it karma that I wasn't evicted, or maybe it was a miracle

https://youtu.be/Iw5Gi6U4MQ0

Sweet Sunday
3.17.2019

A sacrificial bird is roasting in the oven. Sun is pouring through the dust of decades.
I have rescheduled the visit to my oldest friends in Massachusetts for the fourth time. I may be over the major flu-cold-relapse, but, I'm feeling fragile and hesitant to travel. I watch the weather and have now a reservation for the 16th of April, returning Easter evening.
That settled I headed to the Hudson River for Sunset.


















 ~*~

Favorite Film
10-year-old Fiona is sent to live with her grandparents in a small fishing village in Donegal, Ireland. She soon learns the local legend that an ancestor of hers married a Selkie - a seal who can turn into a human.
https://youtu.be/-dT-BCVjKkA
~*~

1 comment:

Dana said...

Thank you for the lovely music! I too would have played it non-stop. Beautiful photos, as always. I hope you will feel well enough to go to Massachusetts in the spring. It would be a shame to miss it.