Saturday, December 14, 2019

PRECIOUS LITTLE BROTHER

Intense Week

 My Brother, William James Slater had been unwell for a quite a while before his announcement at a Mothers day lunch we shared in May about his health issues. Recently his situation became dire. He had a chemo treatment two weeks previous, then suddenly more serious  problems appeared.

 12.10. 2019
He went into hospital and was attached to three life support systems (dialysis, lung function machines and medication to treat low blood pressure) at White Plains hospital. The doctors told my sister in law, Rosa and nephew, Dennis Michael it didn't look good.

12.11.2019
He was administered last rites, but they still held out hope, though the consensus of the Medical team was that there was nothing more they could do for him. Dennis had traveled from Manhattan and moved in with Rosa. Together they spent a second night at the hospital.

12.12.2019
Full Moon
3:15 a.m. my brother died.

*
I woke just before sunrise and 'knew' he was gone. Spent the whole day wandering, forgetting, remembering and processing.
 *
Even what is expected is never truly expected until it arrives.

The funeral home viewing will be 12.19.2019. Funeral mass and burial will be on the Solstice December 20th in the same locations our Father followed when he died in 1953:
https://mscomfortzone.blogspot.com/2015/05/personal-memorial.html

Memories

 *
 
 *

~*~

12.13.2019
This evening at the monthly 'Wisdom" Sangha session, New York Zen Center for Contemplative care, the topic was 'change' and all had something to share about how we manage changes. Sensei Robert Chodo Campbell placed this sweet favorite photograph on the Central Altar, where it will remain for 48 days.

*

~*~

6 comments:

Mo Crow said...

a beautiful honouring

Marti said...

Dear Michelle, know that my heart is with you in this time of sadness over the loss of your brother. Death of a loved one at any time is hard but to me, in winter, it is especially so...on the Winter Solstice, as I light my candles, I will speak the name of William James Slater, Rosa, Dennis and his beloved sister, Michelle.

Patty said...

The death of a loved sibling is like losing half of your history.
I feel for you. Love and love, Patty

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

I would come, sit with you.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to read of your recent loss...condolences.

Irene

deemallon said...

I am so sorry Michelle.